Registration is the process student organizations go through in order to be recognized by the university as a student organization. Existing student organizations must comete requirements for registration each year during the organization's registration window to maintain active status and to receive access to university funds and resources.
Why You Need to Register
Student organizations must complete registration requirements on an annual basis to be eligible to utilize university resources.
Student organizations can fall under several statuses, which are based on the amount of time an organization has continuously completed the registration requirements.
How to Register
Step 1: Register Your Student Organization and Determine Your Registration Window
Autumn Semester Window:
Aug 1 - Oct 15
Spring Semester Window:
Feb 15 - April 30
There are two student organization registration windows. All student organizations self-select which registration window they prefer based on their officer selection and transition timeline. All registration requirements must be completed within the window in order to stay continuously registered and Active.
New student organizations can only begin the registration process during a registration window. New student organizations have 60 days or until the end of that window, whichever comes later, to complete the requirements to become registered and active.
Before registering: Review Ohio State University's Identifying Marks and Branding
Step 2: Learn the Job at Officer and Advisor Training
All organizations must complete the following requirements in order to be registered and active:
- Trainings for primary leader and treasurer completed annually based upon the registration year. Each registration year begins the first day of the registration window.
- Training for Advisor completed every 2 years
- Online registration forms (see step 3)
- Advisor approval of online registration and goals
Step 3: Complete Online Registration Requirements To Become Active
Each student organization must meet several requirements in order to become a registered student organization. These requirements include:
- The organization's purpose statement and mailing address
- At least 5 Ohio State student members and an electronic roster with names and email addresses of members
- Names and contact information for three student leaders serving as officers (including Ohio State name.#). All student organizations are required to have a president, treasurer and secondary leader
- Faculty or staff advisor name and contact information (including OSU name.#).
- An electronic copy of the organization's constitution in PDF or Word format. A Sample Constitution is available for your reference.
The following video will be helpful to you in navigating the content management system.
Step 4: Get Your Advisor's Approvals
Online advisor approvals are needed for registration and goals. For more information, visit the Advisor page.
Register a New Student Organization
If a student organization you want to join does not exist, we welcome you to create your own! Keep in mind that new student organizations must not duplicate the purpose of currently existing student organizations. New organizations must complete the requirements to register their organization within 60 days of starting the online process or until the end of that registration window, whichever comes later. New student organizations are only able to be registered during a registration window.
Students may request to start new student organizations beginning on August 1, with the Autumn Registration Window. To begin that process, please complete a new organization interest form. For any questions before August 1, reach out to CSLS@osu.edu.
Renewing your registration for another year? Login to Student Organization Management
Questions? Please check out our FAQ Page.