Registration is the process student organizations go through in order to be recognized by the university as a student organization. Existing student organizations must comete requirements for registration each year during the organization's registration window to maintain active status and to receive access to university funds and resources.
Why You Should Register Your Organization
Student organizations must complete registration requirements on an annual basis to be eligible to utilize university resources.
Student organizations can fall under several statuses, which are based on the amount of time an organization has continuously completed the registration requirements as well as the membership size.
Register Your Student Organization and Determine Your Registration Window
Autumn Registration Window:
August 15 - October 30
Spring Registration Window:
February 1 - April 15
There are two student organization registration windows. We recommend that you select a reigstration window based on your election cycle. If your organization transitions on the calendar year (i.e., transitions over winter break) then we recommend you select the Spring Registration Window. If your organization transitiosn on the academic year (i.e. transitions over summer break) then we recommend you select the Autumn Registration Window. All registration requirements must be completed within the window in order to stay continuously registered and Active.
New student organizations can only begin the registration process during a registration window. New student organizations have 60 days or until the end of that window, whichever comes later, to complete the requirements to become registered and active.
Before registering: Review Ohio State University's Identifying Marks and Branding
Learn About Expectations and Resources at Officer and Advisor Training
All organizations must complete the following training requirements in order to be registered and active:
- Online Training modules for president and treasurer must be completed annually based upon the registration window. They can be found on the Student Organization Management System.
- In-Person Trainings for president and treasurer must be completed annually based upon the registration window.
- Training for Advisor must be completed every 2 years, either in-person or online based on eligibility.
Complete Online Forms
Each student organization must submit several pieces of information in order to become or remain a registered active student organization. These items include:
- General Information
- The organization's purpose statement
- Contact information
- A graphic or image representing the organization
- Any social media presence
- Affirmation of non-discrimination policy and anti-hazing statement
- Organization roster - must be submitted and approved
- Name.# of three required officer positions: president, treasurer, and secondary leader
- Name.# of all members
- Name.# of primary advisor and all co-advisors
- Organization constitution
- Submit PDF or Word format. A Sample Constitution is available for reference.
- Two annual goals
- Refer to the Student Organization Success Framework for possible goal areas.
The following video will be helpful to you in navigating the Student Organization Management System.
Submit Advisor Approvals
Online advisor approvals are needed for registration and goals. These must be submitted annually via the online Student Organization Management System. For more information, visit the Advisor page.
How to Register a New Student Organization
If a student organization you want to join does not exist, you may request to create your own! New student organizations must not duplicate the purpose of any currently existing student organization. New organizations must complete the requirements to register their organization within 60 days of starting the online process or until the end of that registration window, whichever comes later. New student organizations are only able to be registered during a registration window.
Students may request to start new student organizations during the Autumn or Spring Registration Windows. To begin that process, please complete a new organization interest form. Please note, forms must be submitted at least 2 weeks before the close of the Registration Window - October 15 or April 1 - to ensure adequate time for new orgs to complete initial meetings and registration requirements. For any questions outside of the registration windows, please contact email@example.com.
Questions? Please check out our FAQ Page.