Nonprofit Immersion Program
The application for the 2022-2023 Nonprofit Immersion Program is now OPEN! Please submit your application here before Friday, April 29th at 11:59PM EST. If you have any questions, please reach out to the Program Advisor Madison Yee at email@example.com.
The Nonprofit Immersion Program is a cohort of students who are paired with nonprofit organizations in Columbus. Students serve as non-voting members of the organizations' boards for one year, where they learn about, and get hands-on experience in, the inner workings of a nonprofit.
Students in the program work under the guidance of a board mentor and a program advisor, and also attend workshops focused on the leadership professional development skills needed to effectively contribute to a nonprofit organization.
The nonprofit organizations that we partner with for the Nonprofit Immersion Program are subject to change year to year, however partners that we have worked with in the past include; Broad Street Food Pantry, Neighborhood Services Inc., NNEMAP Food Pantry, RELA, I Know I Can, City Year Columbus, Neighborhood Design Center, VET Motorsports, The American Red Cross and Wild Goose Creative.
The Nonprofit Immersion's mission is to:
- Prepare Ohio State students to be responsible community leaders through an immersive experience with boards of local nonprofit organizations
- Provide Ohio State students with development of leadership and organizational skills
- Support nonprofit organizations and the local community by offering a fresh perspective and skill set
After participating in the Nonprofit Immersion Program, students will demonstrate competencies in:
- Operations of nonprofit organizations
- Relationship building
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Leadership and professional development
- Project creation, implementation, and management
After participating in the Nonprofit Immersion Program, students will:
- Gain experience with hands-on project creation and implementation
- Undergo leadership and professional development
- Be exposed to the realities of working for a nonprofit, and serving on a nonprofit board so that eventually, students can articulate how nonprofits operate, make decisions, and impact the community
- Connect theoretical ideas from within the classroom to practical experiences within the context of various nonprofit agencies
- Develop meaningful relationships with students, staff, and community members
With questions, or for more information, please email Madison Yee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Nonprofit Immersion Program!
Applications for the 2022-2023 cohort are open here.
Prospective Nonprofit Immersion Program participants are students who will be at least second-year (Sophomore) status by autumn semester 2022 and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Students are required to attend bi-weekly cohort meetings on Thursdays from 6:00pm - 7:15pm.
Applicants should have a strong sense of social responsibility and interest in learning more about local community engagements and the structure of nonprofit and community service organizations. Although there are no specific academic backgrounds or interests required, selected students typically represent a diverse array of majors, previous community service experiences, and perspectives that can contribute to the cohort experience, as well as to the nonprofit organizations.
If you'd like additional information, or have any questions, contact Madison Yee at email@example.com