Nonprofit Immersion Program
The Nonprofit Immersion Program is a cohort of students who are paired with nonprofit organizations in Columbus. Students serve as non-voting members of the organizations for one year, where they learn about, and get hands-on experience in, the inner workings of a nonprofit.
Students in the program work under the guidance of a board mentor and a program advisor and also attend workshops focused on the leadership professional development skills needed to effectively contribute to a nonprofit organization.
The Nonprofit Immersion's mission is to:
- Prepare Ohio State students to be responsible community leaders through an immersive experience with boards of local nonprofit organizations
- Provide Ohio State students with development of leadership and organizational skills
- Support nonprofit organizations and the local community by offering a fresh perspective and skill set
After participating in the Nonprofit Immersion Program, students will demonstrate competencies in:
- Operations of nonprofit organizations
- Relationship building
- Critical thinking
- Leadership development
- Project management
After participating in the Nonprofit Immersion Program, students will be able to:
- Articulate how nonprofits operate, make decisions, and impact the community.
- Develop working relationships with board members and volunteers within the city of Columbus, the Ohio State University community, as well as those within the student cohort.
- Connect theoretical ideas from within the classroom to practical experiences within their designated nonprofit organization, as well as those of their classmates.
- Apply components of the Social Change Model of Leadership to their experience with the Nonprofit Immersion Program.
- Design, implement, and execute a project in line with the mission, vision, and values of their nonprofit organization.
With questions, or for more information, please email Alyssa Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Nonprofit Immersion Program
The application can be found here: 2018-2019 NPIP Application
Program Requirements: 2018-2019 NPIP Info
Prospective Nonprofit Immersion Program participants are students who will be at least third-year (Junior) status by autumn semester 2018 and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
Applicants should have a strong sense of social responsibility and interest in learning more about local community engagements and the structure of nonprofit and community service organizations. Although there are no specific academic backgrounds or interests required, selected students typically represent a diverse array of majors, previous community service experiences, and perspectives that can contribute to the cohort experience, as well as to the nonprofit organizations.
Student Participant Expectations
- Enroll in PUBAFRS 2150, Intro to Nonprofit Organizations for AU2018. Three sections are offered on various dates/ times.
- If you have already completed this course, you will not need to repeat it.
- Attend biweekly meetings on Tuesday evenings from 6:00-7:30pm in the Ohio Union in autumn and spring semesters to engage in co-curricular experiences (leadership and professional development, guest speakers, etc.)
- Engage in at least 15 hours of community service for fall semester.
- Develop a strategic project aimed at addressing a specific board/agency need.
- This project will be developed over the course of autumn semester and implemented throughout spring semester.
In addition to basic contact inforamtion, the online application requires:
- 3 brief essay responses (250 words max for each response)
- What skills and experiences do you hope to gain from participating in this program? What do you hope to accomplish? Please be specific.
- What knowledge, skills, and abilities do you possess that would contribute to the work of a nonprofit agency/ board?
- Identify a systemic problem in a community you have been a part of. What strategic initiatives or solution(s) would you suggest to begin addressing this problem?
- Contact information (name, email, phone) for 2 professional/ academic references
Apply Here: 2018-2019 NPIP Application
Please email your completed application and resume (PDF form) to email@example.com by Friday, March 23rd at 11:59pm.
For additional information, or with questions, contact Alyssa Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org