Voter Registration Resources
Student Voter Registration FAQs
Who is able to vote?
To be eligible to vote you must be at least 18 years old and a citizen of the United States. Every student at the Ohio State University has the right to register to vote using their campus address. You may only vote once, attempting to vote more than once may be considered election fraud and place you in jeopardy of being charged with a crime.
Can I register to vote online through OSU Votes?
If you are registering to vote in Ohio - yes! Visit osu.turbovote.org and fill out your voter registration information. With TurboVote you can also sign up for Election Day reminder emails and/or text messages.
Where can I find out my polling location?
If you are registered to vote, you can find your polling location through the Ohio Secretary of State Website: http://voterlookup.sos.state.oh.us/voterlookup.aspx. Also, through TurboVote (osu.turbovote.org) you can sign up for Election Day reminder emails and/or text messages that include your polling address.
Can I register to vote in Ohio if I am an out of state student?
Yes! However, you must register using your local address. If you live on-campus you must put the address of your residence hall.
Who is eligible to vote by absentee ballot?
Any qualified Ohio voter whose registration information is up to date may request and vote using an absentee ballot without stating a reason. Absentee voters may choose to request and vote using an absentee ballot in person or by mail prior to Election Day. More information about absentee voting can be found at https://www.sos.state.oh.us/elections/voters/absentee-voting/#byMail
What identification do I need to vote?
Those who vote at the polls on Election Day must show one of the following types of ID:
- Current and valid photo ID issued by the federal government or the State of Ohio
- Driver's license
- State identification card with photo
- BuckID and U.S. passports are NOT valid voter identification!
- Currently enrolled Ohio State University students can bring a printed copy of their "statement of account" as a form of voter identification. The address on one’s statement of account must match where they are registered to vote. To update your statement of account go to buckeyelink.osu.edu and log-in to your Student Center to download and print your statement of account, which will show your Home/Current address. Take that statement with you to your polling place. Only printed statement of accounts will be accepted. To change your address on your statement of account:
- 1. Log in to your Student Center via buckeyelink.osu.edu
- 2. Click on Home/Current Address in the Personal Information section
- 3. Click “edit’ to make changes, click “OK” and then “SAVE”
- Military ID that shows the voter’s name.
- A copy or original of a current utility bill (including a cell phone bill), bank statement, paycheck, government check or other government document (including those issued by a public college or university) that shows the voter’s name and current address (but not a notice of an election or a voter registration notification sent by a Board of Elections).
Students who vote early at their designated Board of Elections need either their last for digits of their SSN or an Ohio DL.
If I am a student at an Ohio State regional campus, can I still participate in the Big Ten Voter Challenge?
Yes! The total Ohio State student voter turnout will include student turnout at the Columbus campus, and student voter turnout from all regional campuses.