Voter Registration Resources
- September 22nd - Military and overseas absentee voting begins
- October 9th - Last day to register to vote for November 2018 election
- October 10th - Absentee voting by mail begins
- October 10th - In-person early voting begins
- November 3rd - Last day to request absentee ballot by mail (noon)
- November 5th - Last day to mail your absentee ballow
- November 6th - Election Day! (Polls open 6:30am - 7:30pm)
Sample Ballot - General Election
Available in Fall 2018 - a sample ballot will be provided
***This sample ballot reflects national and local issues/candidates for addressess registered on The Ohio State University- Columbus campus.
Student Voter Registration FAQs
Can I register to vote online through OSU Votes?
If you are registering to vote in Ohio - yes! Visit osu.turbovote.org and fill out your voter registration information. With TurboVote you can also sign up for Election Day reminder emails and/or text messages.
Where can I find out my polling location?
If you are registered to vote, you can find your polling location through the Ohio Secretary of State Website: http://voterlookup.sos.state.oh.us/voterlookup.aspx. Also, through TurboVote (osu.turbovote.org) you can sign up for Election Day reminder emails and/or text messages that include your polling address.
Can I register to vote in Ohio if I am an out of state student?
Yes! However, you must register using your local address. If you live on-campus you must put the address of your residence hall.
Who is eligible to vote by absentee ballot?
Any qualified Ohio voter whose registration information is up to date may request and vote an absentee ballot without stating a reason. Absentee voters may choose to request and vote an absentee ballot in person or by mail prior to Election Day. More information about absentee voting can be found at http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/elections/Voters/absenteeVoting.aspx#byMail
What identification do I need to vote?
Those who vote at the polls on Election Day must show one of the following types of ID:
- Current and valid photo ID issued by the federal government or the State of Ohio
- Driver's license
- State identification card with photo
- BuckID and U.S. passports are NOT valid voter identification!
- Currently enrolled Ohio State University students can bring a printed copy of their "statement of account" as a form of voter identification. The address on one’s statement of account must match where they are registered to vote. To update your statement of account go to buckeyelink.osu.edu and log-in to your Student Center to download and print your statement of account, which will show your Home/Current address. Take that statement with you to your polling place. Only printed statement of accounts will be accepted. To change your address on your statement of account:
- 1. Log in to your Student Center via buckeyelink.osu.edu
- 2. Click on Home/Current Address in the Personal Information section
- 3. Click “edit’ to make changes, click “OK” and then “SAVE”
- Military ID that shows the voter’s name.
- A copy or original of a current utility bill (including a cell phone bill), bank statement, paycheck, government check or other government document (including those issued by a public college or university) that shows the voter’s name and current address (but not a notice of an election or a voter registration notification sent by a Board of Elections).
Those who vote early in person are only required to provide the last four digits of their social security number if they lack an Ohio driver’s license or non-driver ID card.