Student Leadership Advocates
Student Leadership Advocates (SLA) is a peer leadership cohort program supported by the Office of Student Life. SLAs take part in three levels of experientialleadership education and training as a group while also providing Ohio State student organizations with leadership, workshop and retreat facilitation services and resources.
SLAs can work with your student group on your next meeting, educational workshop or retreat plans! These student facilitators are trained in a variety of topics and activities to specifically build leadership and teamwork among groups.
In the past year, SLA has facilitated over 100 workshops, impacting over 3,000 students.
Among the topics we present are:
- Introduction to StrengthsQuest
- Team Building
- Communication and Public Speaking
- Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI)
- True Colors
- Time Management and Stress Management
- Values Clarification
- Ice Breakers
- Recruitment and Retention
- Conflict Resolution
- Retreat Planning and Facilitation
- And Many More!
Want to Join SLA?
Are you interested in joining the Student Leadership Advocates cohort? Our SPRING2018 application is now live!
Step One: Attend One of Three Information Sessions (please note that you must attend an information session for your application to be considered)
- Sunday, February 25: 7-8 PM in the Interfaith Prayer & Reflection Room, Ohio Union
- Monday, February 26: 7-8 PM in the Cartoon Room 2, Ohio Union
- Tuesday, February 27: 7-8 PM in Lazenby Hall, Room 034
If you cannot attend any of the three listed sessions, please e-mail Kyle Cohen to explain your scheduling conflict and set up an alternative time.
Step Two: Submit an Application
- Fill out the SLA 2018 Application and submit both the application and your resume as a PDF to Kyle Cohen by March 2, 2018 at 11:59PM.
Request a Workshop or Facilitation
Student organizations and groups can request SLA facilitators by using the Workshop and Retreat Network online request form. This form also has a listing of sample workshop/retreat topics. SLA staff will select a facilitator based on the organization's needs.
SLA may need more advanced notice to fill facilitation requests during the summer term due to a limited number of available facilitators.
Where to Find SLAs
Come visit us during our SLA Office Hours in the Keith B. Key Center for Student Leadership and Service. SLA members are usually available between Noon - 8 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Contact Kyle Cohen for more information.