The Student Life Leadership Awards is an annual awards ceremony that celebrates members of the Ohio State community who are growing as leaders and Creating the Extraordinary Student Experience. Over the past 60 years, The Ohio State University has recognized hundreds of students, advisors and organizations who demonstrate leadership, collaboration and a commitment to the Ohio State community. The Ohio State Leadership Awards are sponsored by the Office of Student Life.
Who is Eligible for Ohio State Leadership Awards?
Any Ohio State student, faculty or staff member is eligible. You do not need to hold a formal title or leadership position in order to be recognized. Leadership Award judges focus more on learning, attitudes, action, and accomplishments than on previous awards or titles. In some cases, an award may be designed for specific students, faculty, or staff (example: Outstanding First Year, or Outstanding Advisor).
How to Apply to the 2020 Leadership Awards
Applications for the 2020 Leadership Awards are now CLOSED! All applications/nominations were due Monday, January 27 by 11:59pm. All letters of recommendation will be due by Friday, January 31 at 11:59pm.How to Apply for 2020 Leadership Awards
Nominations, Applications, and Recommendations
The terms "apply, nominate, and recommend" have specific meanings in reference to the Leadership Awards process.
- Apply - Some awards require a student or student organization to apply on their own behalf in order to be officially considered for the award. Examples of these awards include the Outstanding Senior, Outstanding Student Organization, etc. Please review the Leadership Awards Descriptions 2020 for a full list of "application-based" awards.
- Nominate - Some awards require a different student, faculty, or staff member to submit a nomination on the recipient's behalf. Students, faculty, or staff cannot nominate themselves for these awards. Examples of these awards include the Spirit of Ohio State Award, Outstanding Student Employee, Outstanding New Member, etc. Please review the Leadership Awards Descriptions 2020 for a full list of "nomination-based" awards.
- Recommendations - Some awards require a letter of recommendation from an Ohio State faculty or staff member. Only one (1) letter of recommendation will be accepted per student, per award. In the event that multiple letters are received, judges will only review the first letter submitted. Letters of recommendation should be no longer than 3,500 characters (roughly 750 words).
We strongly suggest that you write all essay responses in a word processor before copy/pasting to the web form. If the web form is open too long, you will be timed-out and your submission will not be recorded. You will receive a confirmation email after submitting your application that verfies you have successfully applied or submitted a nomination/letter of recommendation. If you don't receive a confirmation email, your application/recommendation did not successfully save! If you wish to confirm that your materials have been received, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Late materials will not be accepted.
Annual Awards Given
- Outstanding First-Year Student Award (application or nomination and letter of recommendation)
- Outstanding Senior Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Outstanding Graduate/Professional Student Award (application or nomination and letter of recommendation)
- Spirit of Ohio State Award - Individual (nomination)
- Spirit of Ohio State Award - Organization (nomination)
- Kaplan Humanitarian Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Stanley D. Gottsegen Leadership Award (application)
- Dr. Ellamae Simmons Award (application)
- Outstanding Student Organization - Overall Organization (application)
- Outstanding Student Organization - New Organization (application)
- Student Organization Awards: Excellence in Member Development, Organization Operations, and Community Engagement (application)
- Student Organization Individual Contribution Awards: New Member, General Member, Positional Leader, and Advisor (nomination)
- Diversity Engagement Award - Sponsored by Student Life Multiculutral Center (application or nomination)
- Outstanding Diversity Program - Sponsored by Student Life Multiculutral Center (application or nomination)
- Scarlet, Gray, and Green Student Leadership Award - sponsored by Student Life Energy Management & Sustainability (application or nomination)
- Student Life Student Employee Award - Sponsored by Student Life Human Resources (nomination)
- Student Life Outstanding Student Supervisor - Sponsored by Student Life Human Resources (nomination)
- Boehm Holistic Wellness Awards - Sponsored by Student Life Wellness Center (application or nomination)
Past Leadership Award Recipients
Click here to view a comprehensive list of all past Leadership Award recipients: Leadership Awards All Years