The Student Life Leadership Awards is an annual awards ceremony that celebrates members of the Ohio State community who demonstrate exceptional skills in leadership, activism, community engagement, and Creating the Extraordinary Student Experience. Over the past 62 years, The Ohio State University has recognized hundreds of students, advisors and organizations who demonstrate leadership skills, collaboration, and a commitment to the Ohio State community. The Ohio State Leadership Awards are sponsored by the Office of Student Life.
The 2022 ceremony was on April 8. Did you miss the celebration? You can watch the recording here on the Student Life YouTube page!
Who is Eligible for Ohio State Leadership Awards?
Any Ohio State student, faculty or staff member is eligible. You do not need to hold a formal title or leadership position in order to be recognized. Leadership Award judges focus more on learning, attitudes, action, and accomplishments than on previous awards or titles. In some cases, an award may be designed for specific students, faculty, or staff (example: Outstanding First Year, or Outstanding Advisor).
Who Can Write Letters of Recommendation
Some of our awards require letters of recommendation for the nominee. All letters of recommendation should be written/submitted by a current OSU faculty, staff, or student. Extremely rare exceptions may be given on a case by case basis.. In the case that you are nominating someone else for an award which requires a letter of recommendation, you must ask someone else to write that letter of recommendation.
How to Apply for Leadership Awards
Applications for the 2022 Leadership Awards are now CLOSED! Check back in Spring 2023 for details about next year's award applications
Annual Awards Given
- Outstanding First-Year Student Award (application or nomination and letter of recommendation)
- Outstanding Graduate/Professional Student Award (application or nomination and letter of recommendation)
- Outstanding Senior Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Stanley D. Gottsegen Leadership Award (application and interview)
- Kaplan Humanitarian Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Dr. Ellamae Simmons Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Student Organization Individual Contribution Awards: New Member, General Member, Positional Leader, and Advisor (nomination)
- Student Organization Awards: Excellence in Member Development, Excellence in Organization Operations, Excellence in Community Engagement, Outstanding Student Org Program (application)
- Outstanding Student Organization - New Organization (application)
- Outstanding Student Organization - Overall Organization (application)
- Spirit of Ohio State Award - Individual (nomination)
- Spirit of Ohio State Award - Organization (nomination)
- Boehm Holistic Wellness Awards - Sponsored by Student Life Wellness Center (application or nomination)
- Scarlet, Gray, and Green Student Leadership Award - sponsored by Student Life Energy Management & Sustainability (application or nomination)
- Student Life Student Employee Award - Sponsored by the Student Employee Experience (nomination)
- Student Life Outstanding Student Supervisor - Sponsored by the Student Employee Experience (nomination)
- Diversity Engagement Award - Sponsored by Student Life Multicultural Center (application or nomination)
- Outstanding Diversity Program - Sponsored by Student Life Multicultural Center (application or nomination)
Past Leadership Award Recipients
Click here to view a comprehensive list of all past Leadership Award recipients: Leadership Awards All Years