Over the past 50 years, The Ohio State University has recognized hundreds of students, advisors and organizations who demonstrate leadership, collaboration and a commitment to the Ohio State community. Along with generous support from Coca-Cola, the Ohio State Leadership Awards are sponsored by the Office of Student Life.
Who is Eligible for Ohio State Leadership Awards?
Any Ohio State student, faculty or staff member is eligible. You do not need to hold a formal title or leadership position in order to be recognized. Leadership Award judges focus more on learning, attitudes, action, and accomplishments than on previous awards or titles. In some cases, an award may be designed for specific students, faculty, or staff (example: Outstanding First Year, or Outstanding Advisor).
How to Apply for 2019 Leadership Awards
Applications for the 2019 Leadership Awards are now open! All applications/nominations are due Monday February 11 by 11:59pm. All letters of recommendation will be due by Friday February 15 at 11:59pm.
Nominations, Applications, and Recommendations
The terms "apply, nominate, and recommend" have specific meanings in reference to the Leadership Awards process.
- Apply - Some awards require a student or student organization to apply on their own behalf in order to be officially considered for the award. Examples of these awards include the Outstanding Senior, Outstanding Student Organization, etc. Please review the 2019 Leadership Awards Descriptions for a full list of "application-based" awards.
- Nominate - Some awards require a different student, faculty, or staff member to submit a nomination on the recipient's behalf. Students, faculty, or staff cannot nominate themselves for these awards. Examples of these awards include the Spirit of Ohio State Award, Outstanding Student Employee, Outstanding New Member, etc. Please review the 2019 Leadership Awards Descriptions for a full list of "nomination-based" awards.
- Recommendations - Some awards require a letter of recommendation from an Ohio State faculty or staff member. Only one (1) letter of recommendation will be accepted per student, per award. In the event that multiple letters are received, judges will only review the first letter submitted. Letters of recommendation should be no longer than 3,500 characters (roughly 750 words).
We strongly suggest that you write all essay responses in a word processor before copy/pasting to the web form. If the web form is open too long, you will be timed-out and your submission will not be recorded. You will receive a confirmation email after submitting your application that verfies you have successfully applied or submitted a nomination/letter of recommendation. If you don't receive a confirmation email, your application/recommendation did not successfully save! If you wish to confirm that your materials have been received, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Late materials will not be accepted.
Annual Awards Given
- Outstanding First-Year Student Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Outstanding Senior Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Outstanding Graduate/Professional Student Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Student Life Outstanding Student Employee Award (nomination)
- Spirit of Ohio State Award - Individual (nomination)
- Spirit of Ohio State Award - Organization (nomination)
- Kaplan Humanitarian Award (application and letter of recommendation)
- Stanley D. Gottsegen Leadership Award (application)
- Outstanding Student Organization - Overall Organization (application)
- Outstanding Student Organization - New Organization (application)
- Student Organization Awards: Excellence in Citizenship, Operations, Innovation & Change, Values & Purpose (application)
- Boehm Holistic Wellness Awards
- Student Organization Individual Contribution Awards: New Member, General Member, Positional Leader, and Advisor (nomination)
- Student Life's Multicultural Center - Diversity Engagement Award (application)
- Student Life's Multicultural Center - Outstanding Diversity Program (application)
- Scarlet, Gray, and Green Student Leadership Award - sponsored by Energy Management & Sustainability (application)
- Student Life Student Employee Award (nomination)
- Student Life Outstanding Student Supervisor (nomination)
Past Leadership Award Recipients
Click here to view a comprehensive list of all past Leadership Award recipients: Past Leadership Award Recipients.